Do you believe there are angels in the world?

"For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone." (Psalm:91:11,12)

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Bible Study -- Gen:41:1-57

Situation: Egypt's king had two dreams his wise men could not interpret. The king's butler told him about Joseph's ability ti interpret dreams

Inspiration: That night my sleep was disturbed by a dream in which I saw our camper being towed away by a truck. The vehicle was a total wreck. I my dream, I watched the rescue truck disappear from sight taking most of our possessions with it.
I woke from that dream, lay in the darkness and, with unchatacteristic calm, prayed: "Lord, if that should happen to us, please give me the courage to cope." The prayer offered, with a peace that does not match my personality, I fell asleep.
On the following day, in high spirits, I drove from Athens to Skopje in Yugoslavia where I handed the driving over to my husband. The dream forgotten, I settled on to the back seat of the camper to read the map and relax. I don't know what made me glance up at my husband. What I do remember is the grim, gray look on his face as I watched him juggle with a steering wheel which was clearly out of control. With incredulity, I watched him drive through mid-air and head for a silver-birch tree. I heard my nine-year-old daughter scream, "No!No!" And I felt the automobile bounce off the trunk of the tree before somersaulting down the steep embankment.
Some minutes later, I lay on the grassy bank, conscious of a dull pain between my shoulder blades, aware of blood pouring from a head woundand staring at the twisted machinery before me which six months earlier had been our brand new, blue Volkswagen camper. But I was not surprised. Nor shaken. It was as though I had lived this moment the night before in my dream. This was as though I had lived this moment the night before in my dream. This was simply an action replay of a familiar event. Through the trauma of the chaotic days which followed, my head stayed at peace.
Two days later, while I lay in a primitive hospital north of Skopje wearing a crown of bandages on my injured head, a truck towed the camper containing most of our possessions to the scrap heap--just as my dream had foretold.
MY husband referred to the accident and the bereavement and the dream in a sermon on one occasion soon after we arrived back in England. A surgeon happened to be in the congregation that morning. After the service, he told my husband something which we had not appreciated at the time: that if someone wasto suffer the kind of head injuries I sustained and be so quickly subjected to the added pain of bereavement, this dream was the kindest possible preparation they could have. The trust the dream engendered ensured that, at the time of the tragedies, I was relaxed, conscious that I was held by a love which would not let me go.
(from The Joy of Listenig to God by Joyce Hugget)

Application: God has sufficient power to help us face the impossible. We must stay in close contact with him. Stay alert to take the paths he points out. Thank God for his watchful care in your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home