Where is my Inukshuk?
http://www.sulis.net/inukshuk.htm

In the Canadian Arctic, the frozen tundra (where you can see only so few people) contains manlike stone sculptures called Inukshuk. An Inukshuk spreads its arms wide. It seems like telling people that, “You are on the right path. You are safe. You are now in my protection.”
Nursing people for almost 1.5 years, I have slowly become an Inukshuk in the hospital. I provide safety, trust and reassurance to many of my patients. Not very long ago, I cared for this 39-yr-old man. His psychological age surely does not reach that old, not even 10. Therefore, I gave him extra care than a mature man normally needed. In return, he gave me a little pink elephant sticker representing the patience, strength and wisdom that he found in me. He even made fun of me by saying that I was like his mum. I am glad that in his most vulnerable moment, he found a stranger like me who was providing a similar type of care and love that his mom would provide.
An Inukshuk was built by many individual stones in the most cooperative and harmonious way. That really means no man is an island. We need to live in a strong supporting system where we support and are supported by one another. Easy enough to say that but in real life it’s extremely hard to form such a group around me. With constantly high demand @ work and in my family, my tolerance to life adversity has enhanced. However, even the best car engine in the world will break down one day if you keep going. But where is the gas station? Where can I park the car for a little while? My family? My co-workers? My fellowship? My cell group? My closest sisters? My one and only boyfriend? My Lord, God, Jesus? Where is my Inukshuk?

In the Canadian Arctic, the frozen tundra (where you can see only so few people) contains manlike stone sculptures called Inukshuk. An Inukshuk spreads its arms wide. It seems like telling people that, “You are on the right path. You are safe. You are now in my protection.”
Nursing people for almost 1.5 years, I have slowly become an Inukshuk in the hospital. I provide safety, trust and reassurance to many of my patients. Not very long ago, I cared for this 39-yr-old man. His psychological age surely does not reach that old, not even 10. Therefore, I gave him extra care than a mature man normally needed. In return, he gave me a little pink elephant sticker representing the patience, strength and wisdom that he found in me. He even made fun of me by saying that I was like his mum. I am glad that in his most vulnerable moment, he found a stranger like me who was providing a similar type of care and love that his mom would provide.
An Inukshuk was built by many individual stones in the most cooperative and harmonious way. That really means no man is an island. We need to live in a strong supporting system where we support and are supported by one another. Easy enough to say that but in real life it’s extremely hard to form such a group around me. With constantly high demand @ work and in my family, my tolerance to life adversity has enhanced. However, even the best car engine in the world will break down one day if you keep going. But where is the gas station? Where can I park the car for a little while? My family? My co-workers? My fellowship? My cell group? My closest sisters? My one and only boyfriend? My Lord, God, Jesus? Where is my Inukshuk?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home