Do you believe there are angels in the world?

"For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone." (Psalm:91:11,12)

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Domestic violence

If you have attended the gospel camp this year, you may know a bit about my background. I was grown up in a domestic violent family. I have to admit that I am one of those lucky people who are only affected by domestic violence in a minor degree. According to a reliable website, many children of domestic violence are not as lucky as me and my brother.

The fact is:
-- 80% of runaway are from abusive homes
-- Young criminal offenders are four times more likely to come from abusive homes.
-- 63% of all boys, age 11-20 arrested for homicide, have killed their mother’s assaulter.
-- Frequently there is both child abuse and domestic violence in the same house.
-- Children in these homes are six times more likely to attempt suicide
-- Children from these homes have a 74% greater chance of committing crimes against others.
-- They are also 24 times more likely to commit rape.
-- Children from abusive homes are 1000 times more likely to abuse their spouse/batterer of their own children
-- Additionally, children’s responses differ with age and gender. Younger children in an abusive environment, including those used as pawns by perpetrators in custody and visitations disputes, have a tendency to regress in their development of behavioral skills. Male children, when frustrated, are frequently aggressive or throw temper tantrums. Females, by contrast, are inclined to withdraw, be passive, or became anxious.
http://www.mujereslatinasenaccion.org/Effects%20on%20Children%201.html

I remember there are so many times when I watched about some TV programs expressing the stories of domestic violence. I have a strong understanding and sympathy with these families. Sometimes, I even cried real tears. I believe that I can still stand right here as a normal person because there were so much love coming to me in different way (e.g. mum, relatives, friends, BnS, BF, etc). In return, I really want to help those children experiencing domestic violence. I really want to show my availability to support them.

Talking to Franklin tonight, he was worrying about my safety and also my capability. Those worries are very reasonable, and I really appreciate him. However, seeing these things happening around me and not doing anything make me feel really really bad. I hope one day, with the right time and opportunity, I can really make a difference in these children’s lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home